View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Hospice: Singing their praises!

Welcome, gardengrl!

I'm sorry you are having to shoulder the burden of caring for your dear mother alone. My Mom suffered from Alzheimer's and I understand your frustration. (I wasn't her Primary Caregiver, though).

Have you checked into Hospice? When someone is diagnosed with a terminal illness, or something they won't recover from, they can qualify for Hospice.

The Hospice nurses and CNA's can come as often or as infrequently as you like. They can bathe the person, dress wounds, check vitals, do light housekeeping, and tend for an hour. (Occasionally they can tend longer as special needs arise.)

Hospice will arrange for your mother's pain/comfort meds at no charge to you. Also, there is a chaplain and Hospice volunteers.

My father had cancer recently and I do not know what we'd have done without the services of Hopsice. They were only ever a phone call away to answer a question. I never had to feel like I was all alone in caring for Dad.

I'm glad you found this forum. There is a lot of good support and answers here. I hope you are able to get some help in caring for your dear Mom. Bless you for being such a good daughter!

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (02-28-2009), BlueMajo (02-25-2009), gardengrl (02-25-2009), GmaSue (02-26-2009)