View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I didn't find any specific stretches or exercises.
Most sites mention mild to moderate activity early in the day and only yoga or mild activities 6 hrs before bedtime.

[17. Are there exercises that can help with RLS?

In 2006, a small study found that a combination of moderate aerobic exercise and lower-body resistance training three days a week reduced symptom severity by about 50%. The study found that it took six weeks to see maximum benefit from the exercise program. Generally, people with RLS have reported that moderate exercise seems helpful and that strenuous exercise may worsen their RLS.]
http://www.rls.org/Page.aspx?pid=543

[Although movement brings relief to those with RLS, it is generally only temporary. However, RLS can be controlled by finding any possible underlying disorder. Often, treating the associated medical condition, such as peripheral neuropathy or diabetes, will alleviate many symptoms. For patients with idiopathic RLS, treatment is directed toward relieving symptoms.

For those with mild to moderate symptoms, prevention is key, and many physicians suggest certain lifestyle changes and activities to reduce or eliminate symptoms. Decreased use of caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco may provide some relief. Physicians may suggest that certain individuals take supplements to correct deficiencies in iron, folate, and magnesium. Studies also have shown that maintaining a regular sleep pattern can reduce symptoms. Some individuals, finding that RLS symptoms are minimized in the early morning, change their sleep patterns. Others have found that a program of regular moderate exercise helps them sleep better; on the other hand, excessive exercise has been reported by some patients to aggravate RLS symptoms. Taking a hot bath, massaging the legs, or using a heating pad or ice pack can help relieve symptoms in some patients. Although many patients find some relief with such measures, rarely do these efforts completely eliminate symptoms ]
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/r...tless_legs.htm

[Regular, moderate exercise may also alleviate RLS symptoms. In contrast, excessive exercise typically intensifies symptoms and therefore should be avoided if possible. It is often recommended that exercise be discontinued at least six hours prior to bedtime. However, some find that briefly performing certain routine, moderate exercises immediately before bedtime may be helpful in promoting sleep. Taking a hot bath or receiving a massage before bedtime may also help to promote restorative sleep.]
http://www.wemove.org/rls/rls_lca.html

I don't know if I have RLS , but I do get "jiggy legs" on long car rides - if I'm driving it doesn't bother me. Just as a passenger and only once in awhile. and sometimes when i sit too much during the day...
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (03-02-2009), Friend2U (03-01-2009)