View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I too love that you started this thread - it is a great way at looking at things and I too also try and think of a few good things that RSD has taught me that I probably wouldn't have known had I not developed it!!

When I was first diagnosed with RSD, I thought that everything was terrible and that it was the end of the World. I was frustrated at Doctors not knowing how to treat my RSD and was VERY angry that they could give me a diagnosis and not know how to make me better, I was upset with some of my family and friends because they left as soon as I was ill etc. After a period of time, I did start and realise though that RSD isn't the end of the world, even though it might feel like it at times and that you HAVE to be positive to try and deal with everything that this horrible illness throws at you and try and overcome it.

I think one of the biggest things that this disease has taught me is what other people with disabillities go through. I respect people with other illnesses because I know what they are going through on a daily basis and just how frustrating it is. I grew up with my nanan having Progressive MS so I was always taught never to judge people any differently just because they might look and act a bit differently.

Another thing that this disease has taught me is to try and help other people. I try my best to help people and understand what they are going through and I think this disease is what has inspired me to be a Psychologist or an Health Professional when I grow up. From September, I am hoping to start an Health and Social Care Diploma at College - it will be a LOT of hard work and really tough but I think it will be worth it and it will help me get a job in later life.

I also try and forget about the little things and not let things bother me too much. Sure, it is hard but I am slowly realising that there is no point in wasting precious energy on rubbish!!

I have also learnt to be thankful when I have a good day. Before I got RSD, I took everything for granted but I now try and live life the best I can on a daily basis, even WITH my limitations!!!! I really appreciate when I have a "good" day and when I am able to do something that I like to do and no longer take it for granted.

I also have been given the gift to try and raise awareness about RSD. I try my best to inform doctors about RSD and my friends and family because unfortunately, not many people know about RSD!!! I was really shocked when I went to College on Tuesday and spoke to a nurse and she actually knew what RSD was without me having to go into lengthly details!!!

This is a great thread and I really think it will help many other people - thanks so much again for starting it!!
Sandel (02-27-2009)