View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Should McDonald's pay?

I heard this story on the news last night. I am angry that McDonald's won't pay for the medical bills so I thought I'd post it here and see what everyone else thought. The whole story can be found on ABCnews . com.

Last August Nigel Haskett, an employee at a McDonald's in Littlerock, Ark. saw a woman being assaulted inside the restaurant. He defended the woman, pushed the guy assaulting her out the door when he was shot in the chest. The police called him a hero. He has $300,000 in unpaid medical bills and still has a bullet close to his spine. On the news last night they showed his scars from the surgeries he has had and he went into detail about the organ damage he suffered.

McDonald's now refuses to pay his medical expenses saying Nigel's actions were not within the scope of his employment. The individual owner of the McDonald's where Nigel was working said if McDonald's corporation and the insurance company won't pay the bills, he will pay them himself. He feels McDonald's is responsible for the safety of its customers. Nigel did say that if he had a chance to do it all over again, knowing the outcome, he would do it again because it was the right thing to do.

I just can't help but wonder why McDonald's won't pay for these medical bills. IMO, this guy is commendable for sticking his neck out to help a complete stranger.

Tell me what you think. If you were the employee at a store and saw something like this happen, would you jump in to help? Is a corporation responsible for the safety of it's customers? Should McDonald's pay for Nigel's medical bills?
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (03-01-2009), Jappy (02-27-2009), SallyC (02-26-2009), soxmom (02-26-2009), Victor H (02-26-2009)