View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello:

I'm new to NeuroTalk and this is my first time posting in this forum.

I have a number of Autoimmune related disorders and Hasimoto's is one of them. I've been diagnosed with it for some time and have been on thyroid replacement therapy for some time. I was recently hospitalized because of a huge chemical imbalance in my system where my thyroid levels bottomed out, potassium ( most of the electrolytes, etc had just run amok ). Found out when a different endocrinologist was assigned to me in the hospital that I've been on the wrong thryroid replacement for a lifetime now. Apparently while most individuals are deficient in T4 I'm also extremely deficient in the less common T3 ( which doesn't respond well to long term oral replacement apparently ). Since they added the replacement for the T3 to my daily medications I've done a lot better in that respect. Although it really frustrates me that while I've had to put up with doctors claiming I must not have been taking my meds appropriately for all these years ... those professionals that took the time to berate me for my alleged neglegence never once considered that there might be another reason for my constant struggle to maintain the thyroid replacement in my system ... It's been one of those situations where I knew something else was wrong but ... as the professionals love to quote "When one hears hoof beats one looks for horses, not zebras." ... well, while the zebras are definitely less common, the fact remains they're out there and mine have been running awry for a lifetime!

We're glad to meet you all and hope to be able to share information, support and encouragement with you all.

Take care, be safe and well: kefrin

kefrin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote