View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello:

I'm new to the NeuroTalk community and this is my first time posting in this forum.

I am on the Fentanyl Patch for chronic pain related to cervical radiculopathy and myelopathy. My patch is of the 100 mg dosage on a 72 hour schedule. For me it's been a lifesaver. Since being put on the patch it has taken enough of the pain away ( I also have osteo & rheumatoid arthritis that contributes to the pain issues ) that I am able to function and move around without fear of the pain becoming unbearable. I've not noticed any serious side-effects from the patch, aside from some itching if moisture gets trapped underneath it, either from showering or sweating. One thing I do when the occasional patch lifts, or if the itching gets too bad and I really need to change it's location is the use of Tegaderm to reapply the patch or seal it back off should it start to lift before the 72 hours is up. I was using regular first aid type tapes to reseal them but find the tegaderm works so much better and it really seals it back off so that showering doesn't cause moisture to get back underneath it.

My doctor would like to try some other form of pain management with me as he says the Fentanyl is not supposed to be for long term usage, but I had been on other forms of pain medications before the patch ... was very concerned about the possibility of becoming addicted to some of them. From what I understand of the patch, is that, while it is possible to become addicted to it, it's more unlikely to happen with the patch than it is with oral medications. I'd prefer to keep using the patch and that's what I'm advocating for with my doctor.

Take care all, hope everyone is safe and well: Kefrin

kefrin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glomom (02-27-2009)