View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Erin and everybody else,
Thanks for this - it was lovely to read, and I can totally agree! I've been diagnosed for 5 years but a year ago I was at my worst. Granted my worst hasn't been as bead as you, but that is probably only because they knew what was wrong with me and able to catch it sooner! A year ago I was in hospital getting my first round of IVIG, couldn't lift a spoon with soup on it to my mouth. I couldn't step up one step to my house without help. Couldn't do up my bra in the morning, needed help to do up buttons on my trousers or shirts, some days I couldn't even step into my undies without help (thank heavens for a patient and wonderful husband - it must have been like living with a 90 year old insted of a 29 year old, but he didn't complain once). I couldn't step into my tub to shower and when I did get in the shower I couldn't hold my hands up to wash or dry my hair. My stubborn side wouldn't let me give up and I only missed 4 days work during this whole period. I had to use a different entrance to the school to avoid stairs and had my lunch in my classroom to avoid going downstairs to the staffroom.

A year on and I can do pretty much anything i need! I'm swimming twice a week with the kids and doing loads of other activities. I can walk to and from work on my own most days and can go grocery shopping independently - this is stuff I thought I'd never be able to do again! A year ago I really thought life as I knew it was over, but I've come back so strong. The only worry I have now is that I'll relapse at some point. It would be really hard to go through that again! I guess we never know what will happen though, whether you have a condition or not, so I just take every day as they come and i am SO thankful.

Next challenge - having kids of my own.... I would so love to be a Mom but I'm worried about putting my body through everything. It's something my husband and I have been discussing a lot lately and we think we'll maybe wait one more year before trying seriously. I'm 30 now so that biological clock is ticking away! If it doesn't happen we'll probably try to adopt or foster kids, but we'd love to have a child of our own.

Happy thoughts to everyone! Spring is starting here in Scotland (the weather is turning and the flowers are budding) so i'm Spring cleaning my house, and my mind! I've been really trying to keep my mind focused on the good, and it's posts like yours Erin that help me remember just how much good there is!

Take care everyone,
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote