View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi MomInPain,

I also get the really sharp sensations in the bottom of my foot. It feels as though I have really severe pins and needles and I get a shooting pain that shoots right down from my hip into my foot. It is SO painful and literally cripples me and brings tears to my eyes for a few minutes. I spoke to my Pain Management Doctor about it and he said it was a VERY common symptom of RSD and it is caused by the nerves misfiring - which I guess makes sense as it feels to me as though there is electric running through my leg!!!

I haven't found anything that helps with this pain so far. No matter how much I try and coushion my foot, it doesn't help and the pain is always there. Soft fabrics like slippers seem to help a little but not that much and I tend to fall a lot in slippers as there isn't enough support in them due to my foot being so rotated to the side and unstable.

I try and force myself to walk through the pain as much as possible. It is extremely difficult and REALLY painful but my PT's and Doctor said that I need to try and keep walking as much as possible, despite the pain. I spent 13 months in a wheelchair and I was SO depressed and there is no way I want to go back there so I try and work through the pain as much as possible ... it is bad enough using wheelchairs and crutches for long distances so there is no way I want to end up in that situation again!!!!

My PT's told me to keep walking as much as possible but to pace myself and not overdo it too much. There is a fine line between doing too much and too little and it's really hard trying to find the right balance. My Doctor is always telling me that to hurt is not to harm but it is easier said than done sometimes and he doesn't understand just how bad the pain is lol!!

Are you on any muscle relaxants?? They can be really good for some people as they can stop the cramping and shooting pains. I have been on LOTS of muscle relaxants and non have worked for me but everyone is different! I've heard somewhere that Lyrica is really useful for the shooting pains also so that might be something worth looking into if you haven't tried it already.

I understand what you mean about finding it really difficult trying to get comfortable in bed. I am forever tossing and turning and wake up often throughout the night due to pain etc. I can't sleep with my leg under the duvet that much so it makes it really hard to get to sleep and now that the RSD might be in both arms, it is even more impossible to get comfortable!! I used to always lay on my left side as that was where I didn't have any pain in my arm but now I have pain in both arms, I am having to try and "learn" to lay on my back which is really difficult!!

I really hope you start feeling better soon - I wish I could help you but I know I can't unfortunately, just know that we are all here for you and DO understand what you are going through!! Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want someone to talk to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MominPainRSD View Post
Ali and all,
I cannot remember......do you have the pain sensations on the bottoms of your feet as well??? I am in SO much pain trying to walk even in 1 inch thick cushy slippers....I cannot bear to put any weight on my soles. The bottoms of my feet hurt to touch, but INTENSELY so to bear weight on them. I really am desperate to find some shoes I can wear outside for when I must go out......We tried buying me the shoe inserts to add cushion but those just made my shoes tighter and they don't work for me. I am willing to try about anything at this point.

How do you all deal with the bottoms of your feet hurting??? Do you still force yourself to walk through the pain?? My instinct is to get OFF my feet when they hurt this badly, but they still hurt regardless, though not as badly. I am trying so hard to stay mobile......I am getting to the point where I cannot bear the pain to do so. The last injections I had on Monday seem to have made me WORSE.

My RSD has definitely spread to my palms as well......they are scorching hot to touch always and red. They constantly feel like they're burning......It is so hard to get comfortable to sleep. I keep trying to put them palm down on the cold sheets to soothe them.....it is kind of awkward to sleep that way and I'm always in search for a new cold spot!!

Any "lifesavers" for the above mentioned would be SO appreciated!! Thanks all!!
bluekrikit (12-27-2015), cinders999 (02-19-2012), DejaVu (09-09-2015), MominPainRSD (02-26-2009)