Thread: Organ donor ??
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

One of my saddest days at the hospital was when we had a very healthy young man who became brain dead due to lack of oxygen in a very, very freak incident.

His parents donated his organs, so he was kept breathing until the gift-of-life and procurement team could be flown in.

This process is very complicated and intricate and what a team of dedicated professionals I met that day. Four teams came for different organs, bones, skin and corneas and worked over 12 hours.

Although I cried the entire day (my youngest was the same age at that time also) I was there as each team came in and did their job with respect, kindness and this young man was treated with dignity even in death.

Unfortunately, due to the amount of compressions and crash cart use, his young heart could not be used, but the valves and aortas could. The recipient was on standby and gift of life had to call and give the news. She cried and I was moved with the compassion she still had after doing so many of these.

The team told me that approximate 175 people would more than likely benefit from this sad, sad situation.

I went home than night and asked my then 16 year old son if that would be his wishes if I were ever in the parents shoes. He immediately said yes without hesitation and that was the end of the subject. He is 23 now and has it on his license also.

The loss has to be unbearable, but I would like to believe that I would find some solace in knowing that my child's life would carry on through someone else and that he did so much good after life as he does in life.

I can say this is how I would react only because I have not been there.

Whatever one decides is a personal thing and to be respected.

Maybe if I hadn't witnessed everything that day and learned what I did I would not feel the way I do.

God bless us all,
Judy

Last edited by heyjude5050; 12-07-2006 at 07:13 PM.
heyjude5050 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote