Old 02-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengrl View Post
You are of ENORMOUS help! I do try to check her BS but it's quite a chore. I have to bribe her with saying she will get some pastry if she lets me take it. But luckily she forgets sometimes....
Can you see ANY of these meds to cause symptoms of Extreme gagging, sneazing, coughing, dry heaving? It's like she has allergies but takes plenty of antihistamines....I did see that Lisinipril has some of these side effects. Could they cause such extreme, constant coughing, hacking, eyes always watery?
I take her to the Dr.s every month, they check her lungs & all is clear? She was a smoker for most of her life...quitting just 4 months ago...I just wan't her to feel good. THANKS for ANY ideas!
For Exelon:
http://www.rxlist.com/exelon-drug.htm

Dry unproductive cough can occur with ACE inhibitors like Lisinopril. It is called ACE cough.

The three meds I pointed out to you should cause dry mouth/dry eyes, etc. But Exelon is a CHOLINERGIC drug, which gives opposite side effects...nausea (gagging), increased saliva etc. The tearing might be due to it too.

Your mother is being given drugs to treat side effects of other drugs. This tends to get messy and unpredictable.

This book explains it:
http://www.enotalone.com/article/4624.html

For example, lisinopril over time will deplete zinc.
The omeprazole depletes B12, folic acid, calcium, zinc and
magnesium.

So what is happening is
1) she gets Navane (thiothixene) to cope with psychotic behavior (which may be B12 deficiency induced) or the result of multi-infarcts in the brain or whatever.

2) This lowers dopamine and gives Parkinsonian side effects so
added to the list are Amantidine, benztropine which have their own side effects, but partially help with the thiothixene.

3) Confusion from too many anticholinergics may result from imipramine, diphenhydramine, and benztropine. So she is given Exelon which is a CHOLINERGIC drug to offset those. When Exelon gives more cholingeric responses, then those side effects appear...watery eyes, excess saliva, etc.

4) a real allergy to lisinopril is a serious thing, not to be medicated for. It should be changed if implicated here. The dry cough is not considered "allergy". But some people are switched when it is really bothersome. Hives and swelling of the throat are the more serious signs. And allergy to this drug is not that common.

If you are serious about this list, I would start with the thiothixene. I'd see if a lower dose could be managed first.
Think of it as a net...pull one string and the net deforms one way, pull another string and it moves back. When drug lists like this get complex it is really hard to predict where to start.
And there are no books about this. Each patient gets a complex cocktail of drugs and those complex mixes don't have a "history" to refer back to for others. I can't think of another way of saying it...but the bottom line is that patients with
these long lists become "guinea pigs" of a sort. If something dramatic happens, they may end up in a research paper, but then they just may die because they are old, and it is expected, so knowledge does not accrue for the future patients.
This is an example of a PubMed paper abstract:
Quote:
Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2008 Sep 26. [Epub ahead of print]Links
Plasma amantadine concentrations in patients with Parkinson's disease.
Nishikawa N, Nagai M, Moritoyo T, Yabe H, Nomoto M.

Department of Medicine (Neurology), Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Shitsukawa Tohon, Ehime 791-0295, Japan.

We determined plasma amantadine concentrations in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) in daily clinical practice and investigated the relationship between plasma concentration and adverse reactions to clarify the safe therapeutic range. Seventy-eight consecutive PD patients on stable amantadine treatment were recruited. Plasma concentration of amantadine was measured 3h after the administration of morning amantadine dose. Serum creatinine was measured to estimate renal function. The mean daily dose of amantadine was 135.1+/-62.3mg/day, and the mean plasma amantadine concentration was 812.5+/-839.5ng/ml (range, 91-4400ng/ml). Plasma amantadine concentration increased according to increasing renal dysfunction. Three patients exhibited adverse reactions, such as myoclonus, hallucinations, and delirium, and all of them showed plasma amantadine concentration >3000ng/ml. None of the three cases had previously shown such side effects. PD patients who have not developed any psychiatric symptoms as adverse reactions to the treatment may develop myoclonus, hallucination, or delirium when the plasma concentration of amantadine exceeds 3000ng/ml. It is therefore recommended to use amantadine at the plasma concentration of less than 3000ng/ml in the treatment of Parkinson's disease, especially in elderly patients.

PMID: 18823813 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

When you search PubMed, you use the generic name of the drug you are interested in, and a qualifier like "toxicity", side effects, etc. These papers appear in journals and often have specific anecdotal information about rare reactions. At the top of the page to the right here is the link to PubMed along with some others. It is right above the "Welcome".

Alot depends on how you can communicate with your mother.
If she can explain how she feels to some extent, that would be a big help. And also how responsive the doctor is...many get offended and arrogant when you approach their treatments and decisions. Many doctors HATE the internet and are biased against it.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 02-27-2009 at 05:20 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote