View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope15 View Post
Hi all. I am having my very first EMG on Monday, and I admit it, I'm scared.

I have talked to a couple of friends who have either had it, or knew someone who did, and they said it was extremely painful, or they ended up in tears. Why would they tell me that when they know I am about to have the test myself? I find that just out right cruel. Yes, I know the test is not fun, but can anyone offer any advice or info before I have it?

Can someone explain exactly what this test reveals? Does it also reveal if nerves are being compressed somewhere?

Also, just before the test, I am having two MRI's. I mentioned to my primary doctor that I am somewhat claustrophobic, so he prescribed some Xanax for me. I am going to call and check, but I thought I would ask here as well if the Xanax might affect the EMG results? I want to becareful there.

My other question is about pain management. I am hyper sensitive and don't do well with antidepressants, especially the low dose older antidepressants that are often prescribed for pain. Not only do they not work for me, but they make my heart go out of rhythm. Scary. So Gabapentin and Lyrica would be my basic choices? I am on Gabapentin now, 1800 mg. and I guess it needs to be raised. I am also taking Vicodin for my bad back and sometimes that does help with my neuropathy pain. I heard Oxycontin might be better for break through pain?

Thanks for any advice here. I really appreciare this board and the people on it.

Hi Hope -

I've had two EMG and they weren't bad at all. There were 2 zaps that made me tingle a bit but nothing painful. Now the MRIs, that's were I have my problems. I have had several but always in the open MRI unit.

Leslie
Leslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote