View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Lightbulb DV housing? low-income subsidized housing?

you seem to be holding out... so far so good. this sux.

family owned ... ugh. really really sux.

hey, you know... a complex i used to live in once booted me coz i had a good job then and my income was too high. right. too high. see, the deal is, they were entering a govt subsidized program to provide low-income housing, so had a CEILING income for their renters. i made out like a bandit because i wanted to get out anyway but instead of my paying to break the least, they gave me money because they were breaking my lease - it was part of the transition to the program, they had to give non-qualifying current residents 6 month's notice plus relocation assistance (several months' rent, listings of local and affordable places, and a reference).

thing is these places EXIST! there are govt. subsidized housing for low-income households, where the rules are reversed... you have to make UNDER a certain amount, not OVER a certain amount, to be approved.

now. i don't know how to search for this. nor whether all states do this. i was in FL at the time. perhaps others have ideas or you could start at some of the general .gov sites.

i found these:
US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development

US Dept. of Housing & Urban Development - find low income housing by county

Some DV victims are also eligible for subsidized housing, depending on income. You would have to apply and see if you qualify, also rules and income levels would vary from one area to another and from state to state. Your DV counselor would surely know how to go about applying however, and you may be able to find out something about it directly at the govt site above.

((( hugs )))

~ waves ~
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (02-27-2009), Dmom3005 (02-28-2009), Mari (02-27-2009)