View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Your body and rib

jamy, when you think about a rib being gone you think of something the size of what is on your dinner plate. (Oh, the old jokes of BBQ ribs after surgery, lol) But the rib depending on your body build is really small. I will look for my daughters post operative reports, but from what I recall, it was a thin slip of a piece that is not missed. I will try to find it and post the size, they send it for biopsy...discribe the size, if malformed, it is in two pieces and they measure both, not any muscle attached etc.

My daughters question was will I be deformed, like one side of the chest caved in. You couldn't tell the difference. Her scar lay along the necklace line and even with a redo is not bad. That is if the surgery is from the collar bone and not just under the arm.

Post op Daughter was in two rear-ended car accidents, fell down the stairs,and her step-sister once gave her a whack in the upper chest with her foot, but nothing hurt it.

I think that the collar bone being in front, gives shape, support, the structure and conceals the tiny rib in its self. behind the collar bone, in front of the first rib is where the brachial plexus bundle follows from the cervical spine to the branches into the arm; becoming the Ulnar, Medial and Radial nerves all the way to the finger tips, three feet long. ( that is why when a compression of TOS gives symptoms along the elbow, arm to fingers, anywhere there is a hinge it further irratate a inflamed nerve)(This is what is meant by double crush symptoms, at two spots, or triple crush, in three spots.)

Brachial plexus bundle; are the cervical nerves C5/6/7/8 and Thoracic T/1.
If you press behind the collar bone about midway to the shoulder from center; give a good press behind the bone.....Do you feel the spot, when hit, it is an OUCHY!

If your boyfriend played football, he may have been whacked and had his arm pulled backwards causing a "stinger"....ask him if he every had this with the whammy sting along the nerve path down the arm.
That helps him understand where your entrapment is and what the pain is you have in a way he can relate.

More then you asked, but some added info that when shared with me gave a good picture.
Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote