View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi buckallred,

Thanks for posting this information.

I have been preaching to the choir about the overuse of denture adhesives for this exact reason!

Unfortunately, some people need alot of goop in their denture to hold the thing in. So I stress repeatedly to not eat the stuff and to make sure they clean their mouths out thoroughly when they remove the denture. Which can be ever so difficult because it sticks to the palate like crazy! However, there is no doubt that the zinc is being absorbed into the palate or lower gum tissue the entire time they are wearing it.

Any ideas or alernatives to what these people can do???

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckallred View Post
Hello folks:

I thought some of you might be interested in the emerging relationship between denture cream use and neuropathy.

Over time, the use of denture cream results in the ingestion of large amounts of zinc, both through the gums and the stomach. These high levels of zinc cause the amount of copper in the bloodstream to plummet, eventually resulting in demyelination (damage to the outer sheath of nerve fibers), generally beginning in the extremeties. Symptoms also can include neurological/cognitive decline.

The bottom line: if you have used these products and are concerned about these issues, please discuss it with your physician. A blood and urine test can be performed to check the levels of zinc and copper in your body.

If you have questions or would like to review some study abstracts, please PM me.

Thanks and best wishes to you all.

-GWA
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote