View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Jan

Welcome to NT and this forum.

I am sorry you are dealing with all the pain and discomfort and trying to figure out what's going on.

I was dx'd with CRPS a couple of weeks ago and have been thru the wringer trying to calm down the pain. I've had 3 steroid shots - two in my right shoulder - about halfway between my armpit and the top of my shoulder on the backside; and one in my neck at the C3/4 (epidural steroid injection).

None of these helped much.

Shortly thereafter, I had a series of 3 nerve block injections in the sympathetic nerve plexus about halfway between my chin and collar bone on the right side of my throat. Oh what a relief it is!!

However, I am still having a lot of pain in the brachial plexus nerve area (C3/4) and have developed seconary frozen shoulder. I thought the pain in my upper arm, back, neck, shoulder was from the frozen shoulder. I had a lengthy appt with the physiatrist (pain management) doc today and he says no. I've had all sorts of tests and procedures and the type of pain I am experiencing is not from the frozen shoulder. It's from the C3/4 cervical radiculopathy (thank you Shelley!) and is definitely CRPS.

Anyway, not to detract from you, the steroid shots can cause swelling and some tingling, as well as redness. Not everyone reacts the same to steroid/cortisone injections. Whatever you do, don't ice the area. Heat. I also take neurontin and pain meds (they've not helped much) and heat on a 20 minute on/off rotation.

The doc is going to test me for the iodine allergy I've had all my life to see how bad it is as he wants to do a C3/4 nerve block using contrast dye. I guess it's pretty critical to get it in the right place!!

I am new to this and am learning. I also have MS so am not sure how much that complicates the issue. I've done some research and have a couple of research summaries to read that a doctor friend of mine found for me.

Good luck Jan. I hope they find out what is causing your pain and it's something simple! In the meantime, ask away! There are some very knowledgeable caring people on this forum! It's a great group. Welcome!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote