View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 11:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm appalled and am e-mailing them this moment!!!

I'm back... Here's what I sent in:

In your Q&A section, I was appalled to hear about the quote below.

Both my son and husband have tested negative for celiac disease but will get extremely ill if they ingest even amounts as small as the 'malt' found in some wheat free cereals. It compromises my son so much that he has ended up in hospital because of repeated exposure. Even sitting at a desk that looks clean has made him ill for two weeks until his system cleans out. (We found out that the desk had not been cleaned 'properly' after another child was eating cookies there).

I guess I will no longer be able to buy Hershey products as you do not seem to take food sensitivities as seriously as we (and many people we know) need to take them.

Honestly, it's extremely disappointing... My family loves many Hershey products and now I'll have to find another company to deal with. I'm sure you can understand that I'm even less thrilled about it just before Christmas.

I sincerely hope to hear that you will be changing your position on this subject to acknowledge the fact that food sensitivities can be very serious even if ingested in minute quantities.

"How is a Food Intolerance different from a Food Allergy?

A food intolerance is more common. It takes more time for the body to react, and the person can tolerate a small amount of the food without reacting. Examples of a food intolerance include lactose, sulfites, and celiac sprue."

Kind regards,
KimS
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)

Last edited by KimS; 12-08-2006 at 01:26 AM.
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote