View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 05:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default "Hocum" or Not!

It is speculated that injury, illness, infection, stress, hormones or a combination of these can trigger RSD; but once it takes hold, the trigger does not really matter unless it is perpetuating the illness.

For my daughter, Sarah, there was absolutely an injury that brought about her RSD diagnosis (as was the case with Roz). Sarah was one of the “lucky” ones who received a prompt diagnosis, amazingly within 10 days of an ankle sprain. Her bone scan showed “textbook” RSD and her symptoms were very typical. Although it does not appear to be a concern for Sarah, as is the case with most illnesses, misdiagnosis is always a possibility; thus making research all the more essential.

Of concern, however, is that she has an underlying infection that allowed her to develop RSD and is keeping her from fully recuperating. Sarah has benefited immensely from hyperbaric oxygen treatments, but her RSD returns when treatments are discontinued.

Treatment with hyperbaric oxygen has been used successfully in treating anaerobic infections and is recognized for such by The Journal of American Medicine. Lyme Disease is caused by an infection of the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi. The B. burgdorferi spirochete is an anaerobic bacterium, meaning that the organism cannot exist in oxygen. Still, killing off the infection entirely is very difficult to accomplish. Some have found benefit in using antibiotics along with hyperbarics, an approach we have not tried.

All of us should be concerned about the overuse of antibiotics, and I AM IN NO WAY PROMOTING THE MARSHALL PROTOCOL. Still, it is very interesting that antibiotics are stopping the pain for some who suffer with chronic pain syndromes. Sarah’s doctor is an M.D., as well as a naturopath. She is being tested for Lyme Disease; but no matter the results of those tests, he believes that infection is involved. He is not proposing the use of lots of antibiotics but is investigating a naturopathic protocol for Lyme.

Mike, you are quite obviously a very bright and informed participant on this forum; and I am very interested in your opinions and research. I must admit that when I read that you had been diagnosed with sarcoidosis (thankfully that has resolved) that you might want to consider the possibility that the bacteria that has been seen in sarcoidosis and chronic pain sufferers could be affecting you.

As the mom of a 17-year-old daughter with RSD, I cannot sit back and wait until published studies are provided. It is likely that infection is not involved in all RSD, and maybe that is why some with RSD do not respond to hyperbarics?

I pray that we all continue to seek answers.

Jeanne
jenno is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote