View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Let me stress the importance of stress...

I see PD as a two-part disorder. One part is the result of fetal exposure to maternal bacterial infection, specifically the toxic remnants known as LPS. This exposure can simply arise from common things like gum disease or vaginosis. but there must be more or more would have PD.

One "rate limiting" factor is timing. The exposure has to occur at the right time and the "windows" can be short. There still must be more, however, for the same reasons.

But that is enough to set the stage for the next phase resulting from hypersensitivity to routine exposure to LPS and a chronic problem with microglia in the brain. The result is inflammation. This has been pretty well established by J.S. Hong, Bin Liu, PM Carvey, etc and is the immune system foundation of PD. But there has to be more to fit the patterns we see.

We come to a fork in the road here. One is the immune system (inflammation) and the other is the endocrine system (cortisol). Along the former we find that LPS is everywhere and inflammation is constant; that LPS can make us more vulnerable to rotenone, mercury, aluminum, manganese, etc In short, LPS sensitivity can account for a lot of the peculiar aspects of PD.

The other fork is more interesting. The natural reaction to inflammation comes from the endocrine system in the form of a natural steroid, cortisol. Mess up your knee and your doc uses a steroid to bring the swelling down. Your body does the same thing once the inflammation has fulfilled its role. Flooding the area with cortisol is the equivalent of the referee's whistle on the ball field.

But, because of the hypersensitivity to LPS, the players tend to ignore the whistle. Long term inflammation is destructive, especially in the brain, so the cortisol keeps coming. And long term cortisol is even more destructive. But what can the body do? Inflammatory cytokines are killing the brain. Counter-inflammatory hormones are doing their share as well. And the substantia nigra is particularly hard hit leading to motor symptoms.

Meanwhile, the endocrine system is becoming more and more stressed. We can't adapt as quickly as we once did. We become increasingly fragile.

Darn, I just realized that I hijacked my own thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigogo View Post
Rick - my first, gut reaction is to your references to stress. They seem too specific (early exposure, etc). I believe stress plays a huge part, but my particular experience is much different.

I would reduce stress to a major factor, but all encompassing, at different times, rather than so specifically linked as you have it now.

Also, wondering if exposures to environmental related elements can be reduced to rural vs urban living rather than milk or diet related? Have you looked at well water vs water system related?

Interesting list!
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bandido1 (03-02-2009), vertigo (03-04-2009)