View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi again Dorrie:

We're just outside of Windsor ... way down in the elephant's trunk ... I moved recently and now if I step out on my Balconey and look to the right I can see Detroit Mich. and the river. In the summer Bailey and I can go down to the river and walk around down there ... much easier to do now that the motorized wheelchair is here ... I walked it a few times last summer ... lets just say Bailey and I had some great naps when we got back!

With regards to the SC issues. We have done physio for the non-MD related conditions and have regained about all the functioning we're going to in respect to that. Further progress or regaining of function was complicated by the onset of the MD. I also have issues with slurring of speech and problems projecting my voice, that's MD related as far as I know. I've also lost some Fine Motor control, which I really miss as I used to do a lot of craft work, music and sketching/drawing to help alleviate stress, right now we're in search of a local art therapist that might work with me on developing some related craft & art techniques that I could do without too much difficulty ( also, as a result of the SC injury I have severely altered sensation in the left forearm & hand and a total loss of sensation in the right forearm and hand ... that really limits what I do with my hands ... I used to do calligraphy by hand, now I do it with the computer and almost all my journalling and art work is done on the computer ). The muscle tone in the facial areas has been affected as well, got some droopy eyes going now and occasionally swallowing problems when I get very fatigued. When I see pics of me before the onset of the MD compared to now I can really see how the diminished muscle tone has changed my appearance.

I've worked with students who have been given adaptive devices like computers and printers to do their school work, it's nice when they manage to come up with the funding to do that. They have access to some great voice activated software the the school boards will load onto those computers as well, should the student's ability to type become limited. Co-Writer is one of the best ... Dragon Speak is pretty good too but Co-writer is more adaptable to individual needs and abilities.

Darn, it's bitter cold this weekend ... the wind is absolutely wicked, even Bailey is considering to learn how to use the toilet she's tired of having to pee outside!!!!

Take care, be safe and well: Kefrin

kefrin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (01-08-2015)