Thread: Vp shunt= sad
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thankyou soo much for writing me back YES I too go see my NS on Thursday for a checkup...I hope all goes well I am sorry that you have to go threw another surgery...That REALLY sucks I do still have the bit of headaches but I had NEVER had a seizer...nor do I EVER want to know what thats like or have one! Will I ever get seizers??? I do know when I go into the hospital they do put the band on me of a fall risk and take the precautions of me getting seizers but I never knew why...anyways I am learning to deal with this all...It still just blows my mind that I have these problems. I am also trying for disability for my eye sight problem -I too cannot drive yet because of my change of sight. I go tomorrow for memory tests but I think my memory is finally back ... For now it seems like almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to get the financial help I need with ALL that SS/ MEDICADE/ DISIBILITY ETC. But I live in USA & we DO NOT HAVE FREE HEALTH CARE I just dont understand with ALL these different pains how can we work through all this? I guess we are all different and all got shunts for different reasons. Some of us are worse off than others??? Anyways thanks again for writing-It REALLY makes me feel better knowing what other people who have shunts think of my story- Even if its "hey lady get a freekin grip" I NEED to hear those things Well I hope ALL goes VERY well with you-GOODLUCK and let me know what happens-GODBLESS & have a GREAT day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff179120 View Post
You have to give it time. After my surgery in 1998 at the age of 43, I kept running back and forth to the neurologist and neurosurgeon believing my shunt was blocked. It wasn't. As it is now, I'm scheduled for another CT scan tommorrow to check to see if the pressure in my head is getting worse. After my surgery, I was able to return to work for about two years, before the headaches and seizures forced me into retirement. I can tell you that I have always had the headaches, but I manage them with simple over-the-counter acetaminophen (Tylenol). I also take seizure meds. I don't pretend that I'm getting better, but I do the best with what I have. I still live independently, although doctors made me give up my driver's licence. But I get a disability pension from the government and my former place of employment (I was a reporter and editor at newspapers for 25 years). Recently, I had some of those stomach pains you describe, but they seemed to have faded recently too. I think you just have to see your way into managing the pain you have the best way you can. I found the narcotic medications my doctor once gave me did me more harm than good. I'm afraid headaches are a fact of life with this, you just have to find a way to manage them. I don't know much about the belly pains. I just started having them and they come and go. I found the hospitals and the doctors really can't do much now. They just try and change up medications if the seizures or pain get too bad. I also find if I do too much or worry too much, my problems are worse, so just take it one step at a time and accept what you can do and can't do. You're not crazy, believe me. You jsut have hydrocephalus. Jeff, Kirkland Lake, Ont. Canada
glittergirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote