View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 02:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Would I qualify for SSDI?

Hi every one. I don't know if any of you know me... I was an active member a while back... My name is Marissa, I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with MS 11/20/07. Here is my question for everyone....

I have been off work for a whole week with no pay now due to some issues that i will list later. I can't afford (as everyone else in this world) to be off work without some sort of income.

I was just curious if my symptoms would qualify me for disability or not. I am going to see yet another new neurologist this coming thursday, and am planning on asking her about this issue, but I know you guys all give wonderful advice.... So, I thought I would check you all out before hand!

Here are my issues I am dealing with.

-Bowel and Bladder Control issues: have been incontinent of bowel 6 times now... I have a 2 min warning time and if I don't get to a restroom in that time slot I go in my pants... Bladder is more at night time, when i wake up and am trying to get to the bathroom I tend to pee a little bit in the bed trying to get up

-Cognitive issues: These issues have gotten worse and worse in the last year or so... I feel like I have become so stupid lately... it takes me so long to process stuff.. that part scares me when I am driving because I have troubles determining whether or not to change lanes... Also, along with this comes trouble figuring out what words to use when, and then my favorite: slurring and mispronouncing words.

-Fatigue: Along with these previous issues comes the fatigue. It kicks my butt.. the more I have the cog issues and try to fight through them the more tired I get.. The more tired I get the worse the cog issues are.. it's a catch 22.

I work in a call center, so therefore these issues are almost impossible to avoid. I am talking on the phone all day. The last day I worked I literally had people asking "What?" After I would say something because I was slurring so bad.. Then I had to slow down and repeat what I had just said. That just makes me say more words... I feel like I need to get out of that job.. but the economy is so bad right now I doubt I'd be able to find a job I could do efficiently.

So, as I said before, this is my question... would I possibly qualify for SSDI?

Also, my dad was on SSDI for MS as well and he passed away by suicide about 4 years ago.. My mom had mentioned something about I may possibly be able to draw off of his policy until my own was approved. Know anything about that?

Thanks in advance for all of your comments and support!
Chazen18 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote