View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Hi Marissa. I'm sorry for all that you're going through. MS is a difficult condition to have to go to work with. So unpredictable.

Does your company have a Short Term or Long Term Disability (STD/LTD) benefit? I would start with that first. After you apply for your company benefits you generally have to apply for SSDI....at least it's that way here in GA.

After you apply for SSDI they will usually call you and let you know that they received your claim and are waiting on your doctors records. I applied online and I think that's a little faster than snail mail. I was approved in about a month...which is highly unusual. The claims examiner stated that my doctor had very thorough and detailed records. Guess that helped.

If you don't have disability through your employer I believe you can ask for FMLA leave which will protect your job while you're out but won't pay your salary.

As to whether or not you'll qualify for SSDI......that will depend on what your medical records state and whether or not SS feels that they need their own doctor to examine you. Some people are approved on their first try....others have to appeal and try again. I think it just depends on how convincing your medical records are.

I'm sure someone who knows more about this than I do will come along soon. I'm sorry you're having all these symptoms...it's so hard to try and work and live a normal life while dealing with the unexpected. I really hope things settle down for you soon.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote