View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambeliever128 View Post
What I seem to notice that keeps me away at night also it the sounds, smells and feeling of things. They seem overwhelming at times.

My kids got me a really nice mattress cover for Christmas because my bed felt too hard. Now it feels like I am sinking into it too much.

Smells, if there is something smelling strong in my house I can smell it even more it seems. I can't cook beans in the crockpot at night because the smell seems overwhelming.

Sometimes the smell of my perfume bottles are overwhelming at night. I have to get up and move them.

Simple noises sound like they are magified.

I was just wondering if this is something some of you might be dealing with that adds to not being able to sleep.

Ada
Hi Ada,

I too have become hypersensitive to smells over the past couple of years. Recently I changed all of my soaps personal body, laundry and household cleaners to natural products without all the added perfumes and chemicals. I even have a special face cream compounded for me without all of that awful stuff in it. It has made a big difference. I do however like the scent of lavender and use it frequently in the bath and bedroom.

To help with really bad household odors like cooked beans for example I like to put a pot of mulling spices with cinnamon and cloves on the stove. Just be sure to keep it on low and check frequently for evaporation.

I don't hear so well now due to my tinnitus, but that is definitely something that can keep me awake. It can become very loud at night when everything else is quiet.

I have read recently that any light source can be bad for your sleep, that one should have complete darkness with no lights even from clocks or other other electronics. I don't know how much truth there is to that, if I recall correctly it is thought to help with the natural production of melatonin by our bodies.

Just a few thoughts...thanks for your comments.

MsL
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote