View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Chaz --

Like Dejibo says, it really varies, who is approved quickly. From the reading that I've done on various message boards, though, it appears that most people who apply eventually get approved. Sometimes, it becomes necessary to get an attorney, especially for the appeal process.

I do not have a lot of residual symptoms that I deal with on a daily basis between flares. Some balance problems, but, they do not affect me significantly. And, mostly, though, the fatigue. I usually require 2 naps a day, and cannot imagine functioning in my previous job anymore.

However, with only fatigue as a major issues, I was concerned that I may not be approved. I emphasized, though, other issues, including 3 jobs losses, due to MS-related absences that exceeded my available sick time.

I also had absolutely SO many medical records, due to annaul ( or more) flares and hospitalizations. I believe that those, and the support of my doctors, helped me to be approved quickly.

Here's what I did:

1. I worked really hard on my application. I'd had hospitalizations once a year or more since 2002, sometimes preceded by ER visits, so, of course, I listed all of those. In addition to my hospitalizations and ER visits, I listed all of my doctors, and as many tests as I could recall. I gave them names and addresses for all of the hospitals, doctors, etc. that I'd visited related to my MS. I know they were sent tons and tons of paperwork of my medical records from some of those places. Some of my files were apparently so thick, that the facility even decided to pick and choose which parts to send, and which to leave out.
2. I talked with all 3 of my doctors (PCP, neurologist, psychologist) prior to beginning the application process. All of them were supportive of me applying for disability. At my request, all 3 doctors also wrote letters to SSA on my behalf, in addition to submitting my medical records.
* Later, I read somewhere that SSA does not read letters from doctors, only actual "medical records". I don't know if that is accurate or not.
o One of my doctors had written his letter prior to receiving a request for medical records, and placed it in my medical file.
o Another doctor wrote the letter after she'd received SSA's request for medical records, and submitted it at the same time.
o The other doctor's letter was submitted by their medical records department at a later date.
3. I had lost 3 jobs since 2002, due to MS.
* 2002 -- Ran out of sick leave; had to use FMLA time. Ran out of that too, because I was off work for more than 12 weeks (for 8 months, actually).
* 2003/2004 -- Closed my licensed day care home, because after a long hospitalization, followed by recovery time at home, my parents had needed to find other care for their children. It did not make sense to start over, knowing the same thing would likely happen again.
* 2008 -- Requested FMLA for the 4th year in a row with this employer. Instead of sending me paperwork, the HR director sent me a letter letting me go.
o I shared all of this info on my application. I also shared additional ways that MS affected me at work during flares and recovery times -- fatigue, judgment, cognitive. Including an 8 month absence from work after closing my day care home in 2004. I also shared how the HR director (I worked for a school district) had put me through through a process in 2007 to determine whether I was "fit to work" which, at the time, I was, and had transferred me to a different school anyways, because he was concerned about stress.
4. One of the friends that I listed, when SSA requested a list of additional persons who knew about my condition, emphasized in her response to them that I had continued to try to work, even though I'd lost jobs. She told them that my preference would be to continue to be employed. I don't know if her opinion made a difference.
5. I called the SSDI two or three times to check to see when they had sent out requests to doctors for medical records, to see if they'd received all of the information they required, etc. When I found out that they'd sent out requests, SSA said they had forwarded the medical records requests to the medical records departments, and not directly to the doctors. I called doctors' offices to follow up on whether they were able to get letters written to SSA. Two of the doctors had not realized that the request had come in, because the request went straight to medical records. They were able to follow up on that, and either get the letter written in time to include it with the records, or to have it mailed later.

I would think that you could discuss your MS symptoms (bowel and bladder problems, cognitive issues and fatigue), and be sure to explain how these specifically affect you while you are at work. The example that you included about slurring your words, and not being understandable at the call center was good. Include more of these.

Be sure to talk with your doctors, too, and let them know this information. I think that SSA is more concerned with whether your doctors think that you are able to work. They want to be the ones who determine that you are disabled, not your doctors.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote