Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenno View Post
Hi mrs. D.,

Thanks so much for the advice. It is great that you realized that this was causing such difficulty for you. It is interesting because I would have never made the Fructose association with Gatorade.

Several years ago my daughter had hydrogen breath tests done for fructose & lactose intolerance. If I remember correctly, they came back o.k. with the only insight provided was that she was a "rare non hydrogen producer" ... something I really didn't have an explanation for until Sarah started seeing her new doctor. She had been taking Protonex, and thus the lack of stomach acid was likely the explanation. She took this med for 10 months, something I am now reading can do lot more harm than good to the gut. Now that I think about it, I wonder if those tests would provide an accurate result for this reason??

Over the past four years, Sarah has unintentionally been on an "elimination diet" as she has discovered that many things do not agree with her. She has a very difficult time getting enough calories with solids, so the majority of her calories come from GNC Weight Gainer Shakes. We even add flax oil to those as they do not provide enough fat. I am suspecting that there is lots of Fructose in those?

I very much appreciate your input. There is so much to be learned from others ... and with an illness with so few answers ... that is invaluable.

Thanks again,
Jeanne
440 grams of carbohydrates/serving for the vanilla...

I can't find a label...to see what kind of sugar has in it.
Sucrose is easier on people than fructose.
There are two types of fructose intolerance..
one is GI mostly, the other is a liver reaction (genetic).

Also you need to look at magnesium content. Some shakes have high magnesium added and this can cause diarrhea in some people.

You might try simple Whey protein...with no added sugar.
Adding the flax oil is great.

I have never been able to drink apple juice like others...so I think I have had this forever, and it just became acute when I was ill. I seem to be able to eat some cereals, but not others. Plain oatmeal is okay for me, but not the flavored instant type (lots of sugars in them).
At one point last year my doctor had me have abdominal ultrasound thinking I had gall bladder problems...it was horrible gas/pain every day...but all was negative.
I was so surprised when I cut out all fructose...it was amazing the CHANGE!

Long term use of drugs like Protonix (proton pump inhibitors) can mess up absorption of some nutrients:
B12
folic acid
calcium
magnesium
zinc
iron.

Those drugs also prevent protein digestion, which leads to bacterial fermentation in the bowel by bacteria, and the subsequent gas and diarrhea. Short term use is okay, but the way that doctors hand them out "for life" with no supervision, is just terrible IMO.

You can PM me anytime, if you have other questions. I don't often get to this forum commonly

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
buckwheat (03-03-2009), Mslday (03-03-2009)