View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Another Thought...

You guys, I totally support the law and I greatly respect the rights and needs of all people.

Because the flying thing is so fresh on my mind, I'm going to use it as an example for my question.

In the letter from my therapist, it was required for her to indicate that I "use the dog for emotional support" and I "have a disability."

If, in fact, I must be deemed as one who has a disability, why is my disability not afforded the same rights as people with other disabilities? I realize mine is not visible and not always constant (I am not always having an anxiety attack, while a blind person must constantly have their dog with them), but what is the thought here?

Don't get me wrong, I know there is a difference in training, (a service dog must be individually trained to assist its owner with his/her disability), however, the rules have changed for 2009. The dog no longer needs formal training.

Please don't think I'm asking this question to take advantage. The only time I have ever taken my dog with me in a questionable place was on the airplane, with my documentation... I never try to take her to restaurants or grocery stores, etc. I'm just really curious as to why things are the way they are.
Tiffy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (04-06-2009), Lara (03-13-2009)