View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My long term disability company hired a SS advocate, and after the initial denial I was approved. My big shocker was that you have to sign up for Medicare after you are on Social Security Disability! I had great benefits under a continuation of benefits plan at the time, but had to pay for Medicare anyway. Talk about gouging the disabled! However, a couple years later my employer dropped continuation on all its disabled ex-employees . . . so actually my transition to Medicare was already in the works.

I got approved for Crohn's/colitis. I guess the fact that I have lost much of my digestive system meant I would not be rehabilitated back to being able to work. I too have neuropathy. . . my feet are numb constantly and the pain!

I was also lucky to have purchased supplemental long term disability coverage through my work, which is keeping me going now. . . . but at 65 I lose it! I have no clue how I will get by on just SS. . . especially if it is bankrupt by then! And of course, the 401K's haven't grown in the last 6 years since I have been a non-working disabled person . . . and in fact shrunk before I could get them all into stable funds!

I wish you the best of luck with your advocate. Save every dime you can . . .