Thread: Life skills
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Good Stuff

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    My care co-ordinator wants me to do a 12 week 'life skills' course at my local mh centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
I am a bit wary as i am not sure what is covered by 'life skills'.
Found onine :

Community Mental Health Team Adult Services

* Community living skills coaching by:
  • Counselling,
  • Education,
  • Practice and
  • Support
Description of Living Skills over a continuum of current evaluated status --

Personal Life
We assist the individual to gain/regain skills in personal care (e.g., grooming, stress management), home management (e.g., independent living skills), relationships (e.g., dating, friendships) and use of community resources (e.g., library, community centre, transportation).

Leisure
We enable people to participate in leisure activities to enhance their personal enjoyment, sense of control, self-esteem, social relationships/interactions and ability to cope with stress. Activities could include listening to music, participating in creative arts, reading a book or watching a movie, meeting friends or outdoor activities, and more.

---- Realize that you may need no coaching at areas in some of these areas, only in others -- so they will only concentrate on the ones they see as needed some coaching.

This is only 3 months. Over by April or May. You will make it!!

What they want to help you achieve is a more satisfying life less plagued by anxiety, low self esteem, overwhelming sense of incompetence, and to help you increase social isolation and other enjoyable activities.

Teri

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 12-08-2006 at 06:15 PM. Reason: formatting