Thread: The Pain
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

rparsons,

Please don't push yourself too fast to get back into the swing of things. I know that you need the money - which can become a huge issue later. I strongly concur with Vini in the terrific quoted post above.

Everyone has limits. Those who are and aren't healthy - they're just different depending upon many different variables that affect brain function. Your brain is always working. The more a person has to deal with - physically or emotionally - the slower their brain becomes. That is largely due to the extra work done by the brain to deal with the extra stress. So, when our brains are working hard on repairs, that's not the best time to work on a crossword puzzle or chess. Instead, take medicine to control the headaches before they become too intense. Sit in a close area and spend quiet time with your partner. Avoid large noises and distractions, so you are better able to pay attention, participate in, and follow conversation.

Regarding the personality: focus on something more positive. Yes, you want to be normal & happy again. But try hard not to dwell on the aspect of not feeling like yourself anymore. Give your brain some time ~ accept that you may need to take a nap occasionally (or whatever) to control painful symptoms. So, try to be more accepting of any changes you must make to make your life easier.

Surprisingly, that was the huge challenge with my TBI. Accepting change. I have fought it for 2 years. Pinned against the wall, after losing nearly everything, I finally began to give in. Others have accepted very minor changes that I seriously resisted. No problem! Don't even bat an eye. It's no big deal that I require more time to mentally process information. Or, that I need people to speak more slowly to me. This is a very recent discovery I've made. Too bad I didn't do it like I could have 2 years ago.

I hope that my personal example makes everything more understandable for you
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pono (03-05-2009), vini (03-05-2009)