View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
it seems like so often I hear about someone getting treatment for their depression and completing suicide in the process.
I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with the warnings on some of these medications? I know the medications they put me on state:

"Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs

Antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of Lexapro or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants in adults beyond age 24; there was a reduction in risk with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults aged 65 and older. Depression and certain other psychiatric disorders are themselves associated with increases in the risk of suicide. Patients of all ages who are started on antidepressant therapy should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior. Families and caregivers should be advised of the need for close observation and communication with the prescriber. "

And on the insert that came with my medicine:

"You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start taking an antidepressant, especially if you are younger than 24 years old. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of treatment with Lexapro.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself."

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

More Than One Soul Dies In A Suicide

Nik-key is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (03-09-2009), barbo (03-07-2009), Burntmarshmallow (03-05-2009), Curious (03-05-2009), DMACK (03-06-2009), who moi (03-05-2009)