View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 08:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I dont want to read others posts yet, so there may be some overlap in what I say and what they say, but here goes:

If it were me, I would definitely call these people back. However, your'e not me. I know that new information can definitely change your perspective of your mother and of your history, so it may not be a good idea if your not ready for that change. But knowing would ease your mind of where you have come from and help you learn a bit about yourself and your mother and/or father.

I have often dabbled with the idea of asking relatives more complex questions about my mother, wondering what she was like at my age, pretty much every question you could imagine, i would love to ask. I often think of calling up my grandmother and questioning her, but somehow always stop myself.

I once found out something about my mother I didnt necessarily ask to hear, and I spent weeks rearranging my idea of her and it upset me that she wasnt exactly the way i had remembered her. My dad just told me last night that my grandmother's (the other one) sister killed herself about 30 years ago. I had always heard different reasons for her death like illness and cancer, but never that. I was in shock that night trying to figure out why my grandmother likes to keep secrets and i didnt know this before.

i once got a christmas card from my mothers friend from her 20s that worked in an office with her, I decided to write her back and tell her that i was her daughter and about myself. Ever since, we have written Xmas cards to each other and she sometimes sends me photos of her that I have never seen before.

In a book I received as a gift, Motherless Daughters, there is a portion that mentions a woman who has always wanted more information about her mother... she said that she ended up writing out questionnaires and mailing them to all her relatives and mothers friends just so she could fill in the blanks to her life. Sometimes, you just have to know.

it is tough not knowing what to do. i think your best bet is to make a list of the pros and cons and figure out whether you personally think it is better to call them or to not call them. would you be upset by new info? would you be better off answering so many unsolved questions that you have always wanted to know? which is more important to you?

*Wish

Last edited by hsiw; 12-08-2006 at 08:51 PM.
hsiw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote