View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello:

While reading through this thread ... had a thought!!! ( amazing as that may seem on some days!). I've had considerable training and experience working with individuals who are diagnosed with Sensory Integrative Disorder/Disfunction. There seems to be an awful lot of similarities in how various types of sensory input can result in confused/unusual sensory responses. The brain can be such a wondrous thing and a real pain in the .... neck! when it gets things messed up or starts to misfire. I had a student who's brother took him to a heavy metal concert. When we asked him how it went afterward he kept saying the music "burned" ... someone tried to correct him and tell him he meant the music was "loud" ( the student also had an Autism Spectrum Disorder and everyone loved to correct the poor guy when they "thought" he was using the wrong vocabulary ) ... but he was insistent that the music burned. After while he got very frustrated and said "It burned like when you put your hand on the stove." ( something he had actually done and could relate concretely to the experience ). The stimulous of the music obviously managed to stimulate the pain center in his brain.

I'm just wondering if the two syndromes could be related or may be, potentially, the same disorder?

Just a thought and possibly another area to research under. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Take care all, be safe and well: Kefrin

kefrin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (03-09-2009), pono (03-08-2009)