View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default emotions, instincts

Paula, Peg, Carey, Carolyn,

Its a funny thing, when each of you mentions GDNF as a catalyst or epiphany in bringing thought, conviction and action together for you -
For me, it was sort of the bottom of a black hole. I had gone on Neurotalk
only briefly years before to chat with Laura Dean(harley) attracted by having
read her poetry. But soon lost this site and password, and connection to
harley, while trying to balance too many balls in the air, with virtually no
support.

Coping with trying to find out what was wrong, coping with diagnosis, educating myself as to what I was facing, raising three children,
they were ages 2,3 and 9 when my symptoms started. And working a full
time job with a 45-75 min each way commute.

I bulldosed new ground, at work insisting on not being shuffled into a $400 cut in pay job after i disclosed that I had pd. I fought for accommodations and training on a new position, and pay raises. after 20 yrs, i was allowed, to work from home for 3 more years till i couldn't do that any more. I went on SSD right aound the same time i entered into the GDNF study. My husband and I hadn't been getting along for years so i moved out just b4 my surgery.

I guess because of the double blind aspect of the study i was very isolated. It wasn't until much after that I began finding out that there were others as disappointed as I and when I first met Paula and Linda and Peg and others.
I remember how astounded I was at Paula's indignation of what i had
gone through and my dissapointment at the trial's abrupt end.

I don't think i would have the courage to do it again. I am certain that ((in my particular case) it halted the progression of the disease for at least 3 years. Not a dramatic get up from bed and walk case like some but certainly a positive for me. and i am grateful for it.

Every day that I say i have pd, it does not have me, and every time i am able to be a help to some one who is struggling - gives me inner encouragement to fight my own battles.....

as - it is together that we form the notes of this concerto we call - life.
jinglelady4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote