View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 8 mm disc protrusion at L5 S1

Hi,
I was recently diagnosed (January 11) with this 8 mm protrusion at L5 S1 (with some misshaping of the disc at L4 L5 also), and have so far treated with physical therapy twice a week, and huge doses of Motrin and some other pill that makes me stumble at night, thus allowing a good night sleep. I am 35 years old, and fairly active. I was in a car accident 8 years ago where I sprained and strained neck, back, shoulders, etc. No breaks or known fractures. In 2001 I started with pt for 6 months and then they said they couldn't help me anymore. They suggested chiro, which I did frequently for about a year and a half. When I started chiro, my soft tissue had healed my spine in a shifting pattern, with each vertebrae a little to the side of the one one above it. After the chiro treatment, the head dr. said they would no longer treat me, that I had chronic pain and would just have to learn to live with it. One of the nicer chiro's suggested a massage therapist I have been seeing for about 7 years. She lengthens the time in between having severe pain, but she is pricey, and I have to keep going back. My most recent trouble came in January, when I was doing playground duty. I took a step and thought I was going to hit the ground. That's how I found out about the protrusion. It was pushing against nerves, causing shooting pain, numbness, tingling, etc. I actually thought there was something wrong with my hips, as that's where the pain really was.
So now I am getting pt twice a week, with soft tissue manipulation and massage (not the nice kind, hurts like HECK but helps alot).
I guess I was wondering, what am I looking at recovery-wise? My pt assures me I have avoided surgery, but I have not had a day without pain since the diagnosis. How long does it normally take? Is physical therapy a typical solution, or is there something else I should be doing? (In pt, along with the soft tissue work, I do stretches, and core strengthening, hip strengthening exercises... I could tell you more about the exercises I do if that would help someone have a better informed opinion. I want to find others who are experiencing what I am, and figure out if I am doing the right things, and maybe get some ideas about pain management. Right now, the heating pad and motrin are good friends, and I am considering acupuncture, though I don't think I will to the epidural. So thanks for any responses or thoughts. Just writing this makes me feel better. I am glad this forum is here.
jenniferowens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote