Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 01:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I'm new to this forum as well!

Hi everyone! My name is Jamie, I'm from Southern Alberta, and I was diagnosed with TN in May of 2007. (1 month before my wedding.) For about 1 month before I was diagnosed I was getting the most horrific pains I have ever had... (Child Birth? HA!) Electric shocks, numbness, burning, stabbing...etc. You've all been there, I needn't go on. So I got in to see my dentist, and she said that you're teeth are fine, I think you need to see your family doctor, so I didn't... Stubborn as I am, I figured it would go away... Well, one day came when my husband and I were sitting on our front step, I shrieked and started crying, which didn't help at all. He said, that's it, I'm taking you to emergency. We did, and my family doctor was there. (We live in a small rural town.) He took one look at me, knew exactly what it was and put me on meds right away. (I don't remember what they were.) I was pregnant at the time, so he couldn't put me on anything much, and he gave me percocet... Well, the next day I started vomiting blood. (Apparently I can't have percocet.) So I was admitted to the hospital. (2 weeks before my wedding day.) I was in for 5 days, just in time for our daughters 1st birthday. Well, thankfully, our wedding day came and somebody was looking out for me, because my wedding day was pain-free...... Well, that was almost two years ago, and I have been on so many different meds and now I am on 150mg 3 x day of Lyrica. It's not doing all that much, and I thankfully have an appointment with a neurologist in Medicine Hat. The last one I went to didn't think that I have TN and thought that it was a mass on my brain stem. Well, she moved and I never got any tests done or anything. So hopefully this new Neurologist can help more... She didn't think it was TN because I have pain on BOTH sides. And from what I have read, it CAN happen, although rare. Lucky me. One benefit of this new med, I've lost 26 pounds! Half of what I gained on Gabapentin! Anyways, I've tried to condense this so it doesn't wind up being a novel... But I'm really happy that I have found this forum, because there is alot of useful information on here, and intend to show it to my husband as well.... He is wonderful, and the most supportive husband on earth! Although I'm sure you could all say that about yours....
JamieE1982 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote