View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A bit confusing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
But it is heartening to see neuroendocrinology having some bold input.

The way that I read it, melatonin is actually a problem in PD and should be avoided. There had been hints of this for years. An early therapy for PD was sleep deprivation which lowered melatonin production.

I become more and more convinced that the endocrine system is the Big Dog here and not the nervous. The latter has a very limited number of factors to account for a large number of symptoms. "OK, ya got dopamine. What else?"

The endocrine system, however, has hormone squirting out of everything but the ears. Cortisol, epinephrine, insulin, estrogen, testosterone, and a half-dozen more. And every one of them has receptors in the brain. You can explain a lot of non-motor symptoms with that kind of toolkit.

The heartening thing to me is that with a rich, complex collection of causes there are a rich, complex set of opportunities to intervene.
I takt melatonin mainly to help in sleeping .. now Rick raises doubts about the wisdom of it !
The article he presented is technically beyond me but on google I found a lot of articles which say that melatonin is good fo PD .
Example :
Jefferson Researchers Show Melatonin’s Potential Benefits In Preventing Parkinson's Damage
ScienceDaily (Oct. 25, 1999) — Melatonin could be a key to someday understanding how to treat Parkinson’s disease. Scientists at Jefferson Medical College have shown in the laboratory and in test animals that melatonin is effective in preventing a particular type of brain cell damage similar to that found in Parkinson’s.