Old 03-08-2009, 05:47 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb DEAR PAULA -melatonin answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
rick, What exactly is melatonin and what is it's function in lay terms....thank u so much sir..

paula
MONTMORENCY CHERRIES CONTAIN MELATONIN -natural sleep aid
the cicadian rythmn is highly important because of R.E.M. sleep
this deep sleep repairs the brain ---this my own wording from all 16 years of research - from my natural approach to regain health
*no link to my brain"
however;
an article found here:

Cherries Found to Be a Natural Sleep Aid
by Jo Hartley, citizen journalist
See all articles by this author
Email this author

(NaturalNews) There is a tart cherry called Montmorency that contains a significant level of melatonin and hence is helpful as a natural sleep aid. The University Of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio recently discovered these properties in the tart cherry.

Melatonin was discovered in 1958 by a dermatologist named Aaron Lerner at Yale University.

Melatonin is a natural hormone that is produced in the pineal gland located at the base of the brain. It triggers sleepiness during night hours. Melatonin production can be disrupted because of staying up at night utilizing artificial light. Melatonin has been found to decrease with age. This is why elderly people often have trouble sleeping or staying asleep at night. Stress can also cause melatonin levels to drop thus causing poor sleep and insomnia.

What Foods Contain Melatonin?

Melatonin is most plentiful in tart cherries, especially the Montmorency variety.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025210.html

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gardengrl (03-08-2009)