Thread: Vp shunt= sad
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused VP Shunt

I had a VP shunt placed back in October of 2008, I have since the surgery had short term memory loss, now out of the blue the actual shunt itself is hurting.... it starts out as a "throbbing" then remains... I have experienced the "throbbing" before an thought nothing of it... but earlier yesterday morning I nearly fell from being dizzy an light headed... like I had gotten up to fast, but that was not the case... this was differant. Also, its like the pain is ONLY where the actual shunt itself is, its not a severe pain more annoying than anything...

I went to the ER last night mainly because I was scared... this is all new to me... Anyway, to make a long story short the dr was very rude an walked out of the room as I was in mid sentence an then went an hid in a little room down the hall from my room... he ordered a CT Scan but like my primary dr told me, results are only as good as the person trying to read them.... so I am goin to go an get a copy of CT Scan that was done last night an go see a neurologist. ... The second time the dr (what a joke!) came in my room was to give me a Rx for Fioricet and papers on "What is a headache" I was beyond mad! It was because of a headache they even did my first CT Scan that showed I have hydrocephalus to begin with....

Either way, the shunt still hurts... my short term memory still sucks, still get light headed for time to time an just want to know if anyone else has had this an if so, how was it treated?

I just know this isn't normal I guess I feel that I have had the shunt long enough to know now the differance between what is an is not normal for me....

ps: I know the abdomen pain you are talking about... mine comes an goes, once it got so bad I had to sit down in the middle of a store because I couldn't walk it hurt so bad... and my neurosurgeon had told me that it was the tube moving around not to worry.... yeah... I still get headaches, not as bad as before I was "shunted" but have noticed I have more limitations than expected... I am 27 an feel like a prisoner... sorry its not more of a positive message.......
Felicia1981 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote