View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Back pain from car wrecks

Hi Jen, you need to stop the physical therapy (it might actually be doing damage) and see a neurosurgeon asap. I am a 34 year old female. I've been in 3 accidents where the car was totaled. None were my fault. The most recent one being in 2001. I never broke one bone, they always said I just had whiplash. I've had back pain for years, especially since the 2001 accident. I've been to at least 6 physical therapists over the years, I even tried accupuncture and prolotherapy. Massage is my favorite, but it only helps to a point, you know that. This past summer I reached my limits pain wise and they did not want to give me stronger pain meds, I was really slouching bad and stumbling a little, so I went to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me to a neurosurgeon. They said I needed surgery soon, and that they'd do it the next month. They said I had a herniated disc at T7 aqnd T8 and if I had bad trouble walking or going to the bathroom, to come in right away. A month later I went in after spending the weekend stumbling like a drunk and not being able to go to the bathroom, and they informed me they were going to do surgery the next day. They said the herniated disc was putting pressure on my spinal cord and that it was doing permanent damage and that they were afraid i'd become paralyzed from my bra-line down. So the next day they broke my rib, moved my lung to the side, removed the herniated disc, and used part of my rib for a new disc, and inserted a rod and two screws. I am 3 months and almost 2 weeks out from my surgery and I am still in hell. ( I used to go to the chiro too, but I can't even imagine it now) It hurts to sit, walk, lay down, drive, do anythinhg 24-7. I'm better, but it's still so bad. I spent a week in intensive care on morphine. Flexoril barely touches me, I can drive on it. My primary doctor told me that now they're saying it's at least 10 years before the full scope of damage from a car accident is known. Don't do anything that might jeopardize your back!! It's so painful!!! I have trouble putting on socks and shoes! I hope this helps!
Sambouka74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote