View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I am confused......

Paula and Peggy,
I am missing something here.......
This is how i see and understand the CBS news clip
President Obama makes it legal to use federal money for ES cell work which means NIH can fund grants that use or make ES cells.

New guidelines will be set by a scientific advisory group as to how to procure samples etc,. Is this a wrong assumption??
Guidelines are already in place at various institutes, univ and funding agencies. Scientists like Weisman, Goldstein who are familiar political and ethical arguments would be prepared to come up with new and improved guidelines. Am I wrong again?

It could take upto an year before funding starts.
NIH grant cycles do take time, minimum of 6 months from the day a grant is submitted to the day money is released (jan grant goes to NIH; april grant is reviewed, scores are given, top 10% or so get funded, funding starts from July 1st) typical cycle is 9 months, and so I am not surprised at the time frame mentioned in the news/

I have no clue about the couple and the other guy who were interviewed..............Know the Stanford scientiist who said a few words about stem cells and PD

I know I am missing something!! Educate me!!
Thanks
Girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
The PDF Learning Institute graduates, patient advisory councils, pipeliners,and contributing with background training forum members who are willing and able...not me ...not enough stamina right now but would want to consult ...unless online....should be validated here.

Well maybe Obama will read our forum and change it to make it go faster...that's about the only odds we have of seeing anything for quite some time, and the NIH does not have an appointed director yet either.

Peg - very useful thanks...I"m not up to this fight. But I despise dishonesty, which seems to have replaced the "whole truth and nothing but the truth" in the world and still manages to take me by surprise.

paula

Last edited by girija; 03-09-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typos
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote