View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm sorry you lost your job. Unfortunately, you probably won't get unemployment since you were fired. Also in many states, you don't qualify for it if it's because of a medical reason. However, since the unemployment system has changed a lot recently and the laws vary from state to state, definitely make that call to them or visit their website. There is a chance you will get it, and unemployment benefits have been extended by the current government.

I used to be in HR, and the reasons why you got fired disturb me. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you can get fired if your disability causes an undue hardship; your slurring on the telephone would most likely qualify as an undue hardship to the company. BUT, in a case like yours, the employer should have, and probably could have, found a different job for you within the company that would work for you and them. You may want to check out the ADA online for more info.

But since your slurring did cause you to lose your job, you may qualify for disability. That's not the end of things either. You could still work once you get qualified, as long as you don't make over a certain amount of money, and you could volunteer your services as much as you want.

In any case, please get documentation, something in writing, from your employer stating the reasons why you were let go. This sort of documentation will help you if you plan to challenge the firing under the ADA, or if you want to file for disability.

I sincerely hope that you get some empathy from your fiance, and I am so sorry you lost your job. You can certainly apply for Medicaid to help out with medical issues; you will probably qualify since you're still single and without a job. COBRA is an option but it's expensive. You could also apply for food stamps, which isn't a happy option, but it would save you some money. This situation sucks and keep venting! You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and hopefully you'll get the help you need very soon.

dx RRMS 9/07
april1848 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chazen18 (03-09-2009), dmplaura (03-11-2009), KAOheim (03-11-2009)