View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

It certainly is hard to give up. So many different types of anger too, and can be directed at ourselves or others. I was angry with myself for about 30 years until I finally learned that my anger was misdirected and a lot like you, I seemed to be holding on to it. I think I was doing that to survive too. Heck, I was only 4 when my mum passed away from cancer and a teen when my dad was killed walking across a pedestrian crossing. He'd been through so much in his life and also had been a Prisioner of war for many years in Singapore then on to Burma and Thailand and he made it through it all with a strength I hope I have inherited, ... but in an instant he was gone. YET I blamed myself. Anger again. Weird what our brains can do. I couldn't blame my parents for leaving me so young, so I blamed myself that I'd not done enough, or I had caused it, or I ... etc..

Quote:
But I am telling myself it is worth the risk of more pain-to take the anger off and set it aside for a moment so I can feel some more fragile things like memories of happier times or appreciation or even something as simple as goodwill.
It is worth it you know. It's worth it because holding on to it too long can destroy our health and our lives and to some extent cripple us inside.

What a wonderful post, Sue. Thankyou very much.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barbo (03-10-2009), BlueMajo (03-10-2009), Curious (03-10-2009), GmaSue (03-10-2009), just drea (03-10-2009), Nik-key (03-10-2009), Twinkletoes (03-10-2009), who moi (03-10-2009)