Thread: Newbie!
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face Gee, Lois...

Most of the folks who follow the GF life, do not cheat.

I sort of admit it, that I do very occasionally. But this is not a popular point
of view.

A true Celiac cannot.

I have found after more than 2 yrs GF, that tiny amounts of the malted
ingredients in cereal do not set me off. I do not eat any wheat ones however.
Only the rice and corn ones. Like Crispix, Honeycomb. Only the instant oatmeals, I cannot do them.

There is a granola one called Bear Naked which has whole oats, and that does not bother me either. But I cannot cheat with pasta...I found that out dramatically. My hands swell up rather quickly.

I think it is possible that once your GI tract settles down, other things show up to upset you. Some people find dairy a problem, or corn, or soy.
I'd really be up the creek if corn turned on me. I use corn chips with tuna/salmon, and other things, alot for bread substitutes. I eat nuts instead of pretzels, or other cracker snacks. I use Orville redenbacher corn cakes, and Quaker rice cakes for peanut butter. But I don't search out cross contamination, etc, because I am not battling severe issues. I started out years ago cutting out bagels, at first, then bread. Then this board started on OBT, and I started reading etc and getting better at it.

But admitting to a cheat or cutting corners, is not really acceptable to the GF or Celiac bunch. So don't follow my example, or I might not be welcome here anymore!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote