View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 09:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default bipolar, etc.

hello, all. i'm somewhat new to this, learning as i go, but the subjects raised here hold a fascination difficult to skip past. still unclear to me is the meaning of "bipolar," though it comes through in context to mean, i would guess, what the older term "schizophrenia" once did. a professor i knew believed this condition to spring from what he called "the double bind." that is, a child whose upbringing is rife with enforced ambiguities, split loyalties, divisiveness, hot/cold, guilt/grandeur, and the like, develops unweighted thought processes, and begins to mirror the self-absorption which lies at the heart of this. but understanding the gobbledegook doesn't make for a cure. depression is pretty good at trumping intellect. habits of mind are hard to break. but new habits of mind can be formed. Dr. Vaillant once said, "Don't think less of yourself, just think of yourself less." it's good advice. tv, movies,diversions help us do this, but so do other more productive activities: learning by rote, solving puzzles, assembling things, designing, creating, singing, the list is endless. the power of ambiguity should be at the end of this food chain, not the beginning. when our minds are sown with doubt, and fear, and shame before they're equipped to handle these bogeys, it's a tough trail ahead. i've been on it, i know. please help with comments if you wish. i'm delighted for this forum and to be part of it. thanks. robert.