Thread: distraught
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 12:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb stick with it ..

Several years before I applied for SSI, I had a doctor friend encourage me to apply for it and even gave me the name and number of a lawyer he had worked with. He gave me a lot of guidance and support. By the time I hung up the phone, I had forgotten everything he had said. That was how ill I was back then.

No one in my family saw any need to take me for a psychiatric evaluation, despite my borderline existence and incapability to care for myself. When I finally went to a clinic so I could get something for my crushing depression, the diagnosed me the first week and told me to apply for SSI. I was told to call so the clinic employee would fill out all the forms for me. I never called.

I kept going to appointments, trying one medication after another, and one day a doctor who works in another city was there to provide vacation coverage for the regular guy. I told him I was going to use the clinic's services to help me look for a job -- he had obviously reviewed my chart, because he freaked out on me, told me there was no way I could be working and supporting myself. He instructed me that I HAD TO apply for SSI. I made a call and they sent me forms.

I couldn't calm my mind enough to read them, never mind fill them out. It took me weeks to get them done, one question at a time, and it was terrifying. Almost immediately (it seemed like one week), I was rejected. It took a lot of encouragement from doctors to get me to send in the appeal. I was so scared and I truly did not think there was any way I could handle repeated denials and appeals. I could scarcely open envelopes, threw all my mail in the trash, couldn't accurately count the money in my wallet - how could I take on the government when they were set up to fight me?

But within 3 months of getting my award, getting a HUD apartment, and getting it set up for all my bills to be paid by my bank, I could recognize that I wouldn't ever again have my phone or electricity cut off or late rent notices because I couldn't remember to pay them because I was too scared to open the envelopes. I started to have some hope. For the first two years, tho, I never relaxed, for I was sure I would suddenly get a letter telling me that the approval process would be started all over again or that they had decided I didn't need help anymore. This past year, I've finally begun to have a sense of stability in my life - that there is something I can really count on.

I may have only been "in the system" for a few months, but I know how it feels to finally have some financial stability beneath you - And Medicaid in my state is changing in January and I will now finally be able to get all my prescriptions filled every month instead of deciding what got filled and what I would go without (I take 7 meds, but Medicaid only has paid for 3). And DENTAL CARE!! The rewards of economic security and stability are worth it. Stick with it.

Teri
OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote