View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 11:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Our thoughts hold power and energy. Being able to do what Pter talks about here requires time, effort, and patience. It also requires us to be aware of our thoughts, and thought patterns. Emotions lead to our thought processes, and vice versa. They are inter-conncected. The things going on in our lives affect the way we feel, and think. So, how do we go about changing our thoughts and feelings? We tend to react instead of ACT! Or, we react in the negative ways that Pter talks about to what appears to be a negative, life-threatening thought. And, it is. But, as he says, it also appears to be protective, because the mind thinks it is a way to escape the pain; physical, emotional, spiritual, and mental.

But, it is not true. It is an illusion. I belive that we will never 'escape' ourselves truly. Befriending the thought will take away the dissonance that gets set up, which makes it a 'fight' and, as he says, the fight is tiring. I haven't quite gotten there yet. But, I get closer and closer to being able to do this.

How to change our thought patterns, is also key. Recognizing when we need to before it is 'too late,' is also vital. We have to learn life saving techniques just like someone who has to learn how to deal with high blood pressure or diabetes.

But, the social stigma is ever present. And that can become another battle. Depression, mental illness, and what comes with it is just not socially acceptable. People don't want to feel or share others pain, especially mental and emotional. Why? Because they will open themselves up to feeling it as well. Sometimes, you can't because you are not strong enough yourself. But, when you are, you help yourself by helping others. What goes arournd comes around.

One also has to be able to recognize when they are vulnerable themselves and not able to help anyone but themselves. It gets complicated. HALT is good to remember. Am I hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? Then, I need help. If I am not and I am strong, then I am better able to help others and can do the reaching. Otherwise, I may need to be the one reaching.

Just my morning random thoughts here. I must learn this because I can not take medication. And, I will, with the help of my friends. Love you guys....

Let's face it, its hard for anyone to 'befriend' a suicidal thought. But, as I always say, love is the answer. And, it appears, that it is here as well. I usually just try to push the thought away, which means I am pushing away the emotions as well. But, they go away, just to come back again when triggered by something. Well, if I ever learn how to befriend these thoughts, I promise to share it....LOL

I think, in the long run, it has to become a transformative process.

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
Thoreau

~ You can give without loving, but you cannot love
without giving. ~
mistiis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMajo (03-11-2009), Curious (03-11-2009), da duck (03-11-2009), who moi (03-11-2009)