View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default IVIG?? Anybody had this done? Did it work? What the heck is it??

The neuro told me today that if the next 5 day round of IVSM didn't work... (last one made me sick and praying for death) that we would try IG.

Seeing as I have never heard of IG treatment I'm looking this up and it looks like some weird plasma thing where they dump more antibodies into you. Now if MS is a product of my antibodies attacking my nerves, I am not understanding how putting more in there is going to help. Much less what this would do to counteract the inflammation that is pressing on my optic nerve and causing me to be numb from my stomach down.

Has anybody been given this treatment? And if so did it help?

Why do I feel like I should be in a cage eating celery and cheese?

And I thought Copaxone was expensive:
IVIg is obtained from plasma, donors are paid then the plasma is sent to a processing centers for mixing, antibody removal, chemical treatment and filtration to remove viruses. This is followed by the products to be freeze dried. All this ends up for IVIG to be priced at $ 48 to $ 68 a gram. A single IVIg infusion costs about $3000 for a child and $10,000 for an adult. For a child the cost of IVIg is low because only a few grams are used. The price of IVIg in India is $25 a gram. In Pakistan IVIg costs $20 a gram. IVIg can be bought from China at $45-$100 A Gram.

I am not spoiled!
legzzalot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote