View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree on this one. There is a big difference between gluten free and grain free. I am celiac and follow a gluten free diet. The only things I need to avoid are wheat, barley, rye and oats.
Weaveherr...what mrsD said was: I assume by "no grains" she means gluten free?No celiac says they are grain free, unless they are totally grain free. We say, gluten free. Grain free means...no grains. I was gluten free for 3 years, then I also had to go soy free, next came the corn, and 1 year ago, the rice. Yes, I do have many intolerances, and, I am grain free, not just gluten free.

That means she is more than just celiac. Often, I say, "Why can't I just be celiac?" Losing soy, didn't really matter to me, I never cared for it anyways...now corn and rice, that was upsetting. The first reaction I had to corn was cornbread stuffing I made for a Christmas turkey, and I made sure my corn flour was gluten free. After that reaction, I found myself reacting to anything with corn flour in it, although I was still able to eat corn as a vegetable. I never try it anymore, corn is too fattening anyways!

People who are "grain free", can sometimes use almond flour. They could make bread with it, then make their own bread crumbs. There are bean flours too, and many celiac/gluten intolerants like them, one being garbanzo.

Every year there is more and more gluten free foods. A celiac can eat very healthy, by eating whole foods, nothing processed. Occasionally, I will eat a cookie or piece of bread, then suffer the effects of the grains, and no, I never cheat and eat gluten.

I'm very happy that doctors are finally recognizing gluten intolerance's. I find it sad there are so many of us though, more all the time.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote