Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
I was really wondering that!
You guys can make fun of me all you like. I NOW HAVE A FARBERWARE CONVECTION OVEN AND IT WORKS JUST FINE.

Tonight I made Spinach bites. They cooked up in 12 minutes.

But something happened and I want to run it by all of you.

I would never operate a microwave at the same time as anything else plugged into that power strip.

I have two things plugged into a power strip (and the strip has an off/on thingee and also a black button thingee.

So I had no other place to plug in the Farberware so I plugged it into the power strip.

And because I know not to operate these two things simultaneously, I thought "what could happen?"

So after I used the Farberware, I shut it off, and then I had to heat something up so I used the micro for one minute. Everything worked just fine.

I went out to a friend's house, came back home and decided to make some toast with a cup of coffee. I turned on the Faberware and nothing happened. I said "uh oh".

I then opened up the micro and there was no light. I immediately looked at the power strip BUT THE ON OFF SWITCH WAS STILL SWITCHED TO ON.

So I didn't break the circuit (or so I thought).

So I said 'oh my god, don't tell me the outlet broke".

the only way to tell was to plug something else into it and it worked fine.

So I said to myself "Okay, the outlet works just fine, it has to be the power strip".

Since I don't have any other power strip (or whatever these things are called, you know the thing with 5 outlets, and you can plug in more than one appliance)...

So I took my good heavy duty extension cord, and one by one, tested both the micro and the Farberware.

BOTH WORKED FINE.

So again, I said "it's the power strip, but why is the on/off switch still turned to on".

Then I looked closer and the little black button thingee was popped out.

So I said "now how on earth did that thing pop out?" One hour earlier I operated both appliances at different times and everything worked.

I'm thinking "well, I jumped the circuit breaker, maybe that is what the black button is (the circuit breaker???)

So I'm thinking, "maybe when I was handling it, I accidentally pressed the black button thing and it popped out and I didn't realize it?"

Because earlier everything worked fine, power strip, micro, Farberware. ALL WORKED FINE.

So what did I do?

I took the power strip, I plugged it back into the wall outlet, I depressed the black button thingee (the on/off switch was already turned to "on") and then I plugged in the microwave.

On came the light. It worked.

then I unplugged the microwave from the power strip, and I plugged in the Farberware. WORKED PERFECTLY.

So ....just in case, I am leaving the microwave plug OUT OF THE POWER STRIP. I only have the Farberware plug plugged into the power strip.

And in case I have to use the microwave, I'll just unplug the Farberware and re-plug the microwave.

I just wanted it to be fairly simple and have both appliances plugged into the power strip.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I am going to buy a better Power Strip tomorrow, this one has been around FOR YEARS.

I want to have a power strip with circuit breakers so that I can plug in both appliances and leave them both plugged in (but I will only use one at a time).

Do any of you have more than one appliances plugged into a power strip? Is there a special Power Strip I can get just so I can be sure I don't ever trip any of the circuit breakers in the basement?

thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (03-11-2009)