View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 09:13 AM
artist

artist

Ada, I'm so pleased the surgery went well overall, it sounds like you're doing good, I know it's hard. Your family sounds wonderful, I'm thankful they're there for you.

I think you should talk to your grandchildren; my grandfather died when I was about 9, older brother 13, younger brother 6, we'd spent a lot of our childhood with them both and although my granny was rather aloof, my grandpa made a lot of time for us, walking, singing and playing. A bit like your Bill. She talked about him after his death, and would mention him often. Her sorrow was very visible for years after, and I think her talk helped us to understand her better.

I have always appreciated that she told us quite a bit about him as a person. You know, what he did when he was young - they were childhood sweethearts. Knowing more about his life story made him much more real than before, when he was just "my Grandpa"... and I still miss him, after nearly 50 years! I wish I'd known both my grandparents better, and the older I get, the more I respect the lives they lived.

Take care, Ada, please look after yourself,
all the best
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote